Sunday, December 6, 2009

Photoshop! and how it affects our view on the body

I love the multimedia pieces that the NYTimes does and so happened upon this piece the other week.. A piece on photoshop and the idea that there should be some recognition that most (all?) photographs in magazines and ads and such have been worked on:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/03/09/opinion/1194838469575/op-ed-sex-lies-and-photoshop.html?nl=&emc=urb3

I thought it was a great compliment to what we had been talking about at the Corpus rehearsal the other night..

I also liked this piece because, while this is a topic I'm familiar with, I was surprised at some of the information it provided and also really appreciated hearing what the re-touchers themselves had to say (both about their job and the role of retouching is society). ... I also liked the idea that if we can be able to see these photographs as art instead of depicting true life we might be able to change our perspective on beauty (and change our self esteem??) ... maybe?? :) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment